To inspire all girls to be strong, smart, and bold!
The Girls Inc. Experience
There are six essential elements to the Girls Inc. Experience. Together they provide a holistic approach that is grounded in a belief in girls' rights and abilities. At different ages, developmental stages, or happenings in life, one essential element may be more dominant or present for that moment or period of time. However, that element is always supported and enhanced by the other elements.
The six essential elements of the Girls Inc. Experience are:
1. A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the persons they are now and the women they will become;
2. Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities;
3. Holistic, compensatory, and intentional programming focused on girls’ needs and that provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise;
4. Relevant, field-tested, and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women;
5. Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate, and interactive activities that develop and promote girls’ strengths.
6. Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
Our Theory of Change is that the Girls Inc. Experience leads to these long term outcomes:
Makes healthy choices
Manages reproductive health
Motivated to achieve
Graduates from high school and has post-secondary education
Sets & achieves personal, educational and career goals
Has healthy relationships
Has sound body image (which is related to self-confidence)
The vision of Girls Incorporated is empowered girls and an equitable society. We believe that girls have the right to bethemselves and to resist gender-stereotypes, to express themselves with originality and enthusiasm, to take risks, to strive freely, and to take pride in success, to accept and appreciate their bodies, to have confidence in themselves, to be safe in the world and to be prepared for interesting work and economic independence.
Girls Inc. of Metro Denver is a United Way Agency. Click here to join our mailing list.