“I loved being at Girls Inc. so so much! The girls taught me so much and always made me laugh…I was surrounded by strong and confident women. Having that support meant the world to me.” – Maggie G, volunteer with elementary school
How Do I Become A Volunteer At Girls Inc. of Metro Denver (GIMD)?
All potential individual volunteers must complete the following steps before beginning their volunteer service at GIMD:
- Apply: Click here to apply online or email Briana at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a phone interview to complete the application.
- Meet and Greet: We will contact you to schedule a tour at our building. This is our chance to learn more about you and find out a placement that would be best for you.
- Background Check: All 18+ applicants* must complete a criminal background check. We ask applicants to cover the fee of processing your background check.
- Orientation & Training: All volunteers who work with girls must attend 8 hours of training before they begin volunteering. Becoming a volunteer at GIMD is dependent on completion of training.Our volunteer trainings are held three times per year. You can elect to complete your trainings in one day or across two days.
*Teen volunteers (17 years and younger) are not required to complete a background check, however we do ask you to complete a membership application that requires parent/guardian signatures
What Do Volunteers Do At GIMD?
We use volunteers at all levels of our organization. In our Meet and Greet virtual meeting, we will help you select a volunteer position.
What Days And Times Does GIMD Need Volunteers?
Volunteer opportunities vary greatly depending on the roles. We have afterschool, evening and weekend programming during the school year and all day camp during the summer. Please share your availability with our team so that we can help you select a role.
- After-school program support (September – May): Monday through Friday 3:00-6:30pm.
- Saturday program support (Sept – May): One Saturday per month depending on role
- Mentoring & Tutoring (September – May): Roles and times vary based on position.
- Summer Center Programs (September – May): Roles vary from once weekly for 9 weeks to twice weekly for 4 weeks or one week. Programs meet Monday through Thursday from 8:00am-5:30pm
- Special Skills (Year Round): Volunteers are needed anytime during the year, Monday through Friday from 8:00am-6:00pm.
How Often Does GIMD Hold New Volunteer Orientation And Training?
We require 8 hours of training for new program volunteers which includes our anti-oppression and inclusiveness workshop and an introduction to Girls Inc. and your role. Trainings are held 3 times a year – winter, summer, and fall. You can attend training all at once or split it up over two separate days.
What Is The Time Commitment Required To Be A Volunteer?
It depends on the role and the duration of the program you select. Under most circumstances, you must be willing to commit to at least one ‘semester’ (typically 3-4 months) or one full school year or summer.
Can Men Volunteer?
Yes. We want to offer as many positive role models for our members as possible. Our members benefit from having strong male role models in their lives.
Does GIMD Provide Opportunities For Groups To Volunteer?
Yes! Group Volunteer Opportunities with GIMD are primarily program prep or facilities-related, and often do not involve working directly with our girls. Some examples might include: Girls thINC Outside the Box program build, yard maintenance & beautification, inside/outside painting washing shuttles, organizing, and cleaning. Click here to learn more.
Do you offer internship or work study opportunities?
Yes! We have work study opportunities and internship placements available for class credit. These are based around our program and administrative volunteer roles. Internships are rooted in offering support to our program teams, and are tailored to meet your academic needs and our program needs. We also offer interns the opportunity to gain experience working in the non-profit sector. We have hosted interns from a variety of majors and career paths. Please contact the Manager of Volunteer Programs to learn more.
Does GIMD Accept Court-Ordered Community Service Volunteers?
Yes. Community Service volunteers perform administrative duties, or other non-direct services. Not all community service volunteers are approved. Please email the Manager of Volunteer Programs for more information.